rss
twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

OBX

-- Outer Banks, NC
Last week Yegi and I went to the Outer Banks with a group of friends. Matt & Sara Beth graciously invited us and 10 others to stay at Sara's parents beach house. When I heard beach house I thought shantee and hammocks (which would be fine with me), but this was more like a beach Lodge. Yegi, Andrew, Emily, and I shared a room of bunk beds which took me back to the days of sleeping on Yegi's old bunk bed at her parents house where I had to pull the mattrass into the floor to be able to fit (head off top, feet off bottom) to sleep.

The whole trip was like a trip down memory lane: Matt, Andrew, Andy, and I, who were roomates in college all rode down together in Andy's company fueled company car. Ford Escapes are not the best vehicle for 6'-4"/225lb guys, but we made the 9-hr trip with little complaints and one pull over from the police 10 mins from our destination.

Background: We went to Folly Beach a.k.a. Charleston, SC two weeks prior and the entire time I was there all I really wanted to do was surf, but I was a pansey and didn't want to do it alone and Will (sister-in-law's b/f) didn't make that trip. The waves were perfect and there were hundreds of people surfing, looked like a lot of fun! Fast Forward to the OBX trip: I have a tendency of getting something in my head and not letting it go. So I wanted to surf and I made sure Andrew, Matt, and Andy knew it. They finally agreed on the 100(0)th time I brought it up. So we rented a couple Lincoln Towncar length longboards and hit the waves. First day was something I have never experienced...I paddled, swam, pulled myself on the bottom sand, jumped over, under, and through waves and NEVER got past the breakers! I tried multiple times throughout the day including my last time at 8pm that night. I tried until it got dark when my arms gave up after seeing that I was still only 15yrds offshore. Strongest currents I have ever encountered and waves that had no lapse in between them.

Next morning was a different story. Paddled out past the breakers and caught my first wave (on a surfboard). It was 3 seconds of bliss. Did this until my nipples bled (literally). Now I know why surfers all wear rash guard shirts in the water. I threw a T-shirt on for the second half of the day and we had a good time. I'm pretty much a pro now and am thinking about changing my name to Kelly Slater (only pro surfer I know).
Other than surfing my favorite part of this trip was the food. I love food and it loves me. The girls did a great job of keeping us all fed that week. I think everyone had a great time on this much needed vacation. The girls that are teachers went back to work the Monday after returning and I know this was a good final trip for my little teacher.

The Booth's are selling the beach house so I propose next years trip be a cold weather location. Hey Matt, Andrew, Andy...I've been looking into heli-sking, I really want to do it and I think you guys would love it. Don't worry, I'll get you the info!

This was my first ever "Blog", hope it was interesting enough to of published...

1 comment:

  1. Great blog post!

    Wish I could have been there to try surfing with you. Can you post some pictures too??

    ReplyDelete