rss
twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mom, what are those old guys doing?

In an effort to stay (get back to being) physically fit I play tennis and run with a good friend of mine that happens to live in my neighborhood. Neither one of us are particularly good tennis players but we do know the rules and enjoy playing. We keep score (at the time of writing this I'm up by quite a few games) and many times make friendly wagers on the game.

Some examples of wagers might be: Win one set and you owe a cheese dip at El Charro, win two sets and its a whole dinner. Yes, I understand that betting high fat foods tends to counteract the reason for playing, but why else would two overweight twenty something guys get together to play tennis? (Other than being gay -- cough, Will)

Tuesday night we headed over to the courts we usually play on to find that they were full, so we headed down to campus only to find that these courts were even more full (evidently the freshmen class of 09 has a lot of tennis players). Last resort was the Tyson Park "Tennis Center" which ended up being a winner and after the set...so was I.


Sizemore, the trash talker that he is proclaimed after the match, "I wish there was somewhere we could run the forty." Why, I asked? "Because I would spank you!" Well, I've never been one to back down from a challenge so I suggested we put our tennis stuff up and head down to an open set of courts and race. After putting our stuff up we went down to the courts where I set a one minute timer on my phone and when the buzzer went off we sprinted to the last line on the three courts (about 60-70 yards). Right before the buzzer went off I started thinking about what the people on all the other courts would be thinking about the old fat guys stretching and looking like they might race. Much to their surprise (and enjoyment) we did, although from a distance it probably looked like we were walking briskly. After 60 yards of embarrassment I pulled out a slight lead over Sizemore and subsequently celebrated my win.

The most embarrassing part of this whole ordeal was the fact that my hamstrings were sore for a week after the race.

The most important part: I won and I'll be eating free cheese dip soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment