rss
twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Man Trip

This past weekend some friends and I went up to the Obed for a man weekend.  In order to have a man weekend you need the following components:  men, fire, something to cook over that fire, and...well, that's really about it.  There are a few optional things that can be added to make the trip even more manly like: knives, guns, fishing, climbing, hunting, hiking, late night campfire stories, bear encounters, rigging of a shelter through use of sophisticated knots or other skills learned in the boyscouts, not having a cell phone or watch.  We had a great time and the weather was perfect.  I actually got to use my ENO hammock that I love to catch some zzz's in (10 to be exact, I slept like a baby after being up most of the night before with our sick little baby).  I woke up in the morning to the smell of bacon being cooked and Texas Toast being...well...toasted.  After breakfast we hiked up to south clear creek and did a little sport climbing.  Luckily Peter Brown the spider monkey was present to lead climb all the routes so the rest of our fat A's could make it to the top.  Below are some pics from the weekend.


 Our Campsite.

 About five minutes after arriving Rob pulled dinner out of the river.

 Our outdoor kitchen.

 My paradise sleeping spot.

 No outdoor kitchen is complete without your own personal chef.

Pete looking pensively out over the lookout.

The Obed is one of the south east's best climbing areas.  There is something for all skill levels.  This is called "The Stephen King Library" and is out of my skill level (The routes extend to the roof above).

 Peter starting us off.

 Matt enjoying a great day of climbing.

 Halfway there.

 Made it to the top.

 This is me demonstrating what a bad belay looks like:  slack line, eyes off the climber, possibly daydreaming about what I want for lunch.  (J/K, I was resting my neck from looking up while Peter was tied off at the top setting up a top rope)

Michael at the top.  He was so fast this was the only picture Matt was able to get before he was done.

Trying to tie a knot wondering if the knots tied in the tendons in my hand are going to hold up.

 Me = 240lbs  Peter = 135lbs  <--That whole situation = tethering Peter to the tree behind him so he can belay me without being ripped off the ground if I fall.

 Good to know they were paying attention.

Pumped!

 Spider Monkey Pete on the second route.

 Getting ready to try a crazy move.

 Mission Impossible style.

 No longer spider monkey this is Spiderman.

Rob, Daniel, and Josh caught up with us just before we had to head back to civilization and Rob took a turn on the second route we attempted.

No comments:

Post a Comment